Recipe Printing Information

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Clementine Upside Down Cake


We didn't have any pineapple, but wanted that brown sugar taste of upside down cake, so we got creative.  I did have a drawer full of clementines that needed to be used. ~Printable Recipe

In an 8x8 baking pan:
Grease pan well, then cut 4 tablespoons of stick butter and dot in bottom of pan.
Crumble 1 C. packed brown sugar over the bottom of the pan in an even layer.
Peel 3 clementines, section them and arrange evenly in pan on top of brown sugar.
Cake:
1  1/2 C. flour
1 C. sugar
1/3 C. butter, softened
1 egg
1  1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla (we used our homemade vanilla)
Mix all ingredients together; beat well.

Pour cake batter on top of sugar and clementines in pan.
Bake 25-30 min. @ 350 degrees.  Immediately turn out of pan.

Serve with whipped cream.
We didn't have any cream, but I had an old box of Dream Whip from an ice cream cake I made last fall.  Now, I am new to this mixer business, as you know....  I put the dream whip stuff in the mixing bowl and turned it on.  It needed to be scraped down on the sides, and I was pretty sure I was skilled enough to do it without turning off the mixer.  I stuck that rubber spatula in there and the wire whisk grabbed it.  The spatula had a metal handle.  This is important later in the story.... We had an Oprah and Paula Deen moment in the kitchen, but the Dream Whip got fluffy and everything seemed okay.  I was dishing it up and noticed a little spot of something -- the metal spatula handle had apparently shaved some steel off the whisk and just like little chocolate shavings, there was steel in the Dream Whip (never doubt the power of your KitchenAid mixer)-- I grabbed the dessert from the hands of my son-in-law and got rid of the deadly Dream Whip (and I had just been nagging them about getting the little pieces of scrap iron out of the goat pen before they came down with "hardware disease."  Talk about Karma.

3 comments: