Recipe Printing Information

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Rhubarb Cake

This is my mother-in-law's recipe for rhubarb cake.  It is the only way the Old Farmer will eat rhubarb.  Lovely served with whipped cream, although my father-in-law always just poured fresh cream over it.  Interestingly, many years ago when I asked for the recipe, she handed me a "Paralyzed Veterans of America" notepad to jot it down.  I still have that same little hand written note on veteran notepaper. Seems appropriate to share it on Memorial Day.
Print Here!
Cake:
1  1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 cup sour milk (add a tablespoon of vinegar to whole milk)
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Topping (mix together in small bowl):
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Mix all ingredients and beat together well.  Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over the top.  Bake at 350 degrees 40-45 min.

3 comments:

  1. Thank You very much for Your warm comment!
    I wish all the bests to You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe sounds great - I printed it to give it a try. Personally, I don't care for rhubarb, but my son Steven loves it (and grows it) and all I have ever made from it is pie. Will be nice to have an alternative to pie all the time.. :)

    ReplyDelete