Recipe Printing Information

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Two Recipes: Chicken Curry and Potato Soup

This recipe is a complete bastardization of a recipe at sweetannas.com  Please forgive me, Anna.  This is a really nice recipe for kids because it doesn't have chunks -- it was a stroke of brilliance on her part to puree the veggies in the blender.  Hers called for pineapple chunks, but the OF would not eat it if I put pineapple in it.  You may feel free to do so, however.  I also used more chicken and doubled the coconut milk as I had a large crew to feed who are suspicious of anything that is too spicy.  As I said, it was perfect for kids.
Chicken Curry~ Printable Version
Saute in large, deep skillet or dutch oven:
6 boneless skinless breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 T. canola oil
In Blender:
1/2 green bell pepper cut in large chunks
1/2 large yellow onion cut in large chunks
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 can coconut milk  (you will also need one more can for later)
2 T. sweet red chili sauce
1 T. ketchup
1.5 tsp. salt
1 T. garam masala (I made my own, recipe to follow)
1 T. curry powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (I truly only used a quarter teaspoon so the grandkids would not complain)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 T. basil (I used dried)
Blend on "liquify" speed until smooth.
After chicken is lightly browned, pour blended sauce plus one more can coconut milk into the pan w/ chicken.  Simmer on low about an hour.  A few minutes before serving, turn up the heat to medium and add:
2 T. corn starch dissolved in 1/4 C. water. 
Heat until thickened.
Serve over rice.
Here is the easy garam masala from allrecipes.com:
1 T. ground cumin
1.5 T. ground coriander
1.5 T. ground black pepper
1.5 T. ground cardamom
1 tsp.ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
Mix together (I used an empty spice bottle and just shook it up well). 

Potato Soup~Printable Version
On the way home from Bozeman yesterday, Christine and I were smelling the incredible aroma of the breads we had purchased at the farmer's market.  We decided a nice creamy soup would be perfect for supper, so we could have dipping material for the bread.  I put a pot of potatoes on to boil as soon as we got home; well, after I stopped in to play with the chicks and watch them chase the crickets we brought them.  And yes, I washed my hands.  ;P

Boil in large soup pot:
8 medium sized potatoes (I used a mix of golden and russet), peeled and quartered

In Blender (copying Anna's idea here):
1/2 C. diced onion
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped (fortunately I had the other half from the curry)
2 garlic cloves
1 T. chopped parsley
1.5 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 C. whipping cream
Puree until smooth.

When potatoes are cooked to fairly soft, remove from heat, drain off water and add:
 1/2 C. butter
 1/2 C. flour
Quickly mash this together (I used an immersion blender, but if you have a good potato masher, you can use that). 
Add:
1/2 tsp. better-than-bouillon beef flavor
2 C. milk
Blender liquid
Return to heat, bring almost to simmer, stirring constantly until thickened.  Right before serving, stir in 1/2 C. grated parmesan cheese.
Serve with good bread.

5 comments: