Recipe Printing Information

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Apple Pie Goodness

I have the "word" from Christine.  This pie is good.
Preheat oven to 425.

Filling (you should make this first and let it cool a bit):
6 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
1/2 C. water
1/2 C. packed brown sugar (a little variation on our applesauce recipe)
2 T. butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Bring water, sugar and butter to simmer.  Add apples and spices and cook just until tender. 

Crust:
1/2 C. cold butter
1 C. flour
1/4 C. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 beaten egg
1 tsp. lemon juice
water as needed
This is a modification of my mother's perfect pie crust recipe.  I am out of shortening so I used butter instead. And let's face it...butter just tastes better, but it does affect the softness of the dough. This is also a sweet dough -- sugar added.
Cut butter into flour, sugar and salt until pea-sized crumbles. Add beaten egg, lemon juice and a bit of water (I only used a couple teapoons) and lightly mix until dough forms soft ball (I always use my hands, but my modern daughter has a mixer that does this very efficiently) -- this is a soft pie dough, you will need substantial flour on your cutting board.  Roll very thinly into 2 round crusts.  Line bottom of 9" pie pan w/ one crust.
Pour filling into bottom crust (once you do this, don't mess around, you don't want your bottom crust to get soggy).
Top with other crust. Make slits in crust to vent (Christine always makes happy faces and other funny designs, I am an old-fashioned leaf woman myself). Moisten top crust with wet fingers, then sprinkle lightly with sugar.
Bake about 20 minutes until crust is lightly browned and crispy looking.
My dad loved his apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese.  Try it -- you will love it!

2 comments:

  1. This was a fabulous pie! I really am happy that i got to sample it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    It is very interesting!It must be very yummy!

    ReplyDelete